Thursday, June 9, 2011

1:40 AM: Hugged by a drunk Aussie. Had to explain who Andrew W.K. was.



 


And once again, I'm a bit overdue on my blogging, but eh. I DO WHAT I WANT.

Regardless, it's been a fairly busy week or so- which sort of makes it hard to write a blog entry, as a LOT has gone on, and each passing day just adds more to the workload, and what have you.

So yeah, this last weekend was a three day weekend. Woo! Korean Memorial Day, y'see. Unfortunately, I only realized this a short time before the weekend itself, so by the time I started making plans, most of my friends were already getting ready to head off to other corners of the country. Which is fine!

However, some other friends of mine had some extra tickets to the RockKorea music festival, so that's what I did! A good time, all around. The festival took place in Incheon- that is, the little island that Korea's main airport is built on. It was out in some place called Midan City...which isn't much of a city, to tell the truth. Really, it was just a field in a park that was under construction. Yeeeeah. Suffice it to say, I was glad I hit an ATM before I went there- and I'm glad I wore my boots (then again, I always wear my boots, but you get the idea). I met up with some friends of mine from Ilsan down there, and so the party was on!


Unfortunately, The RockTigers weren't there (despite what some of the initial posters said), but there were still a bunch of really good bands there. Mostly expats, but there were some Korean bands as well. Check the schedule!


There were a few too many tribute bands there for my liking- but most of them were really good. I think the Rolling Stones tribute was notable, due to the gloriously stripey pants of the lead singer. Though really, the best tribute act of the night was the Beatles tribute. They were all Koreans, and were done up in dapper suits. They went on a little before 7pm, and they were the first band to get the crowd really moving. Then again, who doesn't love the Beatles?

These guys were ridiculously entertaining.

 
The Rolling Stones tribute. Seriously, check them pants.

I brought a little pocket notebook and a pen to scribble stuff down as the day progressed. Which...went fairly well, though towards the end, a combination of a lack of light, the several beers I consumed, and my own naturally crappy handwriting has made a lot of my scribblings a bit illegible.

But yeah. It was a good time! The place looked pretty dead at first, but as the day (and evening, and morning...) went on, more people arrived. For awhile, the crowd was evenly split between Expats & Koreans- though as it got later and later, it began to thin, as people with more sense went back home. Not me, though! I powered through the ENTIRE NIGHT. Helped that I switched to coffee at about 10pm. I also took a quick semi-nap on a bench at...some point, I'm not sure when.


By about 4am, the place had a semi post-apocalyptic vibe going on. Or maybe like a fresh battlefield. Note the folks asleep/passed out on those little mat thingies.

So yeah, after a stretch of tribute bands, they went back to original acts- there was a group called Mirrorhouse- they had a really good sound. Unfortunately, I was a bit strung out by that point, so I'm not quite sure HOW to describe them. I'm gonna have to make it a point to see them in a proper club at some point!

Last act I saw was Pinnacle & The Antidote- a band I've been meaning to see for a very long time now. They're pretty much a rock band with hip hop vocals...think, I dunno- Rage Against the Machine, only much happier. Again, I've been meaning to see them since I got to Korea- and again, I really want to see them at a proper venue, when I'm in slightly more coherent condition.


Pinnacle & the Antidote.

So yeah, the festival wrapped up, and I wound my way home, managing to stagger back into my apartment around 8 AM Sunday morning. 24 hours straight of wakefulness. I'm glad I can do it still...but I'm also glad I don't really do it very OFTEN.

As one could expect, I spent most of Sunday in varying states of consciousness. You would too! Monday I spent like my typical Sunday- went for a stroll, hit up the grocery store, etc.

Oh, and Tuesday, I turned 28. Alarmingly close to 30! But other than that, I feel mostly like I did when I was 27. Woo.

Not sure what I've got planned for this weekend- might make the run to the beer castle for reals this time, or hit up Gyeongbokgung palace, or...something. We shall see. Feel free to provide recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment