Monday, September 19, 2011

Two weekends of hijinks!

First, Chuseok! Or, to put it more simply, 'Korean Thanksgiving.' For those who don't feel like hitting up google or wikipedia, it's a typical harvest festival. Lots of family, lots of food, and so on. One of the particular things is that EVERYBODY heads out of Seoul to visit their grandparents in the the countryside. Given how I'm not, well, Korean, I was left to roam a quiet and mostly empty Ilsan (and Seoul, later). It wasn't quite 'I am Legend' empty, but it was far quieter than what I'm used to.

Despite being a four day weekend, I honestly didn't get up to all that much. Which was kind of nice anyway- I'm a big fan of being able to just take it easy. I did do a little bit of exploring anyway. I meandered through Itaewon a bit (because where else will things be open?) and I'm rather glad I did, as I managed to find myself a bootleg Defensor. Yay knockoff transformers! The plastic is pretty flimsy, and I can spot at least a half dozen places where corners have been cut- but at least when you put him together, he looks pretty cool. Funny that it's taken me 7 months in Asia to find good bootleg transformers- guess I'm just not looking hard enough. 

Chuseok itself fell on a Monday. I took the opportunity to meander by Gyeongbokgung palace again, as it was free to the public that day, and they were having some sort of cultural folk festival or something. Unfortunately, the festival itself wasn't too noteworthy (at least the stuff I saw), but it was kind of neat to poke around the museum parts I hadn't seen before. In particular, there's a 'folk village' that's set up to reflect what stuff looked like during different decades. One touch I really liked was that they had a 1970's-ish era comic book shop as one of the exhibits. Neat! Once again, I manage to find the nerdiest thing in any given area. It's a talent.

Perhaps to make up for my boringness on Chuseok weekend, I actually went out and about this previous weekend. More specifically, I went on a big expedition with my Cousin and a bunch of our friends to a little town called Sokcho, out on the east coast.

The bus ride was pleasant- though one of the things I've found in my (admittedly limited) travels in Korea is, well...a lot of it looks the same. Heavily forested mountains, and little towns tucked into the valleys. Sometimes picturesque, but a little repetitive.

In any case, the bus went through a couple of tunnels on its trip...and when we went through the last tunnel...it was raining on the other side. Not...exactly the best beach weather, but what else can you do? Thankfully, I remembered to bring my gore-tex jacket. Be prepared, and all that.

Despite the rain, this didn't stop us from having a good time! It was a little chill, and perhaps a little crowded, but there's something to be said for sitting around, watching TV (SWAMP SHARK), and of course, drinking. Many boozes. We found a new use for the rice cooker, as you can see.

When it got later, we hit up a rather tasty galbi resturant (as we usually do), then we hit up the local Norebang (as we usually do). Really, add in coffee shops, mini-marts, and PC bangs, and you've got the most common buisnesses to be found in Korea. Norebang's by far the most entertaining option. I think it's the required way to end an evening whenever you get a certain number of expats together. Or maybe it's just OUR required way to end an evening whenever you get a bunch of us together.

I guess that's kind of rad, right?

Sunday was a little more low key- we lazed around, slept off our hangovers- and even if it was still raining, we played around in the big-ass waves anyway (I even went sans-gore-tex that time) and finally cleaned up and made the trip back to Seoul. Not much to say there (though I did spy another, smaller bootleg Defensor set at a rest stop on the way back. Who knew?).

I'm not sure what I'm getting up to this weekend, but I'm gonna make it a point to do something interesting. Stay tuned!

Also, it's kinda cold all of a sudden. Ridiculously abruptly so. It's like someone realized 'Oh, it's September!' and flicked on the 'cold' switch. I think that's how things work here.

No comments:

Post a Comment